Stephen Trapani

Default Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to removeit.

Stephen Trapani wrote:

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

Dear Roger ,,, please send me the piece of paper with the $2,500 on
it. Address it T Wentworth, bottom paint job.

Make sure to sign it, and have it show the name of your bank nice a
clear.

Thanks, for your help.

======================
"Roger Long" wrote in message

By far, the best and approved method for a boat about the size I
recall Tom talking about is a piece of paper about 3" x 5" properly
printed by a bank with about $2,500 written on it

As most of you know, I'm a real do-it-yourselfer but some things just
aren't worth it.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message

I looked at a boat this past weekend. There must have been twenty
layers of bottom paint. It was so thick, ....

I'm thinking ??? ,, how on earth does one get this bottom paint
off. Sanding will do the trick but I would think it might take a month.

What is the prefered method of bottom paint removal? What tools to
use? Is there a bottom paint removal substance?

After the bottom paint is removed, right down to the bare gelcoat
... about August 1st .. joke there ..

After the bottom paint is removed,, what should be done? Put a thin
coat back on? Put on a coat of the sealer stuff?

Bottom paint doctors wanted ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand, and
Remove ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand and Remove ...

Well, so far I don't see anything in the thread better than the method I
last used, two guys with sharpened (and resharpened and resharpened...)
3/4 inch chisels scraping their brains out. It took us about three long
days to do a 33ft sailboat.

I don't think it was twenty layers, but it was pretty thick and very
hard work. Two teens we tried to hire to help couldn't hack it. They
couldn't figure out how to scrape off the paint in any reasonable amount
of time.

Actually, I just saw a better method, if you will. Don't scrape it off.
Take off the loose stuff and paint over it.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos