Steve Lusardi

Default Cooling water failure lesson

Roger, the lesson you learned is wrong if you think the strainer should be
below the water line. You immediately lose the ability to clear blockages
through the hull fitting. if you do. Any decent rubber impeller pump will
suck 2 meters of head if the tips are kept wet by a post pump riser.
Steve

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Here's something about cooling water intakes I learned the hard way
last year even though, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I'm sure I
knew
better at the time.

Http://Home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0603.htm#cooling

BTW there was quite a bit of discussion here about the Aqualarm when I was
putting it in last year. My conclusion after a season of sailing is that
it functions well as an alert to total stoppage but isn't much good, at
least with small engines, at alerting you to reductions in flow.
Ironically, my only cooling water system failure was caused by the alarm
installation itself. At least it told me though

Now that it's properly set up (or will be tomorrow) , I'm glad to have it
on my boat.

--

Roger Long