posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
RCE

Default Bahamas/Abacos Cruising Information

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We are getting ready to leave in a couple of weeks for a cruise to the
Abacos. The plan is to leave from either Port St Lucie or Ft Pierce
on the FL east coast, cross the stream at night weather permitting,
and check in the next day at Walkers Cay. From there we plan to work
our way south along the northern rim of Great Abaco, ending up at
Marsh Harbor and beyond.

The return leg is still open ended but time and weather permitting we
might continue south to Nassau and then swing back to the states via
the Berry Islands and Miami.

Does anyone have any good information to share on "must see" places in
the Abacos, favorite towns/marinas, or other good information to pass
on? Our boat is a Grand Banks 49 trawler drawing a bit over 5 feet,
typically cruising between 8 and 10 kts.

We already have just about every cruising guide that I've been able to
locate, plus both paper and electronic versions of the Explorer
charts.

Any comments regarding accuracy of the Explorer charts, or lack
thereof, would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a fantastic trip, wish I were there!
You cross over on Lake Okeechobee? No draft problems? I thought about it
once when we had the Navigator in Jupiter, but I chickened out.

RCE