posted to rec.boats.building
Chris

Default bottom coat

Its almost warm enough to consider working on my old boat again, and so I
have a few questions.

My boat is near 16ft, and fiberglass from the 70's (Sunray).

It has a severely faded green colored bottom (like pea soup green) given the
many years its been around in the sun. Underneath where the sun never gets
to, it obviously looks greener and better though.

I don't think its ever been painted, but rather the green is from the
original gelcoat.

It hasn't been waxed for probably over 18 years if ever, although 2 years
ago I tried rubbing a bit of a fancy product on it that was suppose to
restore the colour and treat any oxidization - but I didn't notice any
improvement.

I'm looking to repair a few small things in the fiberglass and then paint
the entire bottom side to give it a darker, richer colour, and ensure things
are sealed.

Now, my questions:

1. I'm looking for a bottom coat paint then correct? And this should be
antifouling?

2. I don't think I need to dewax the boat, as the weather should have burnt
everything off long ago.. it really looks worm, there can't be anything on
it. Do I just start painting?

3. Should I spray it, or apply the paint with a brush?

4. How much paint would it take to do a boat this size would you think?

It's an old boat, not a show boat and I don't have a large budget for it, so
I'm looking to do things the cheaper way.

any help is appreciated