jim--

Default Republicans trying to gag nonprofits

I thought you threatened to leave with you ball and bat.

Change your mind Chuckie?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Spending money is one thing -- but what about saying "Mr. Smith is a good
guy, and we think he will work in our best interests" in their

newsletter?

If BOAT/US, or anybody else, felt it was important for the membership to
understand the differences in candidate's positions on certain issues that
might effect something of interest to organization members, it would be

more
appropriate to make a certain amount of space available in the newsletter

for
the candidate to say his piece. It would also be fair (although there are

fewer
rules requiring fair play these days) to allow the opposition an equal

amount
of space.

Far too much editorializing gets shoveled under the crack in the door when

newsletter editor makes a recommendation to the membership.

Whether it's Marine Trade Association, the
Yacht Brokers Association, Boat/US, or whatever....the main purpose of

those
and similar organizations should be promoting the best interest of the

entire
membership on a non-partisan basis. Not diverting membership dues to

political
campaigns on *any* side of the spectrum.
Not even using the membership roster as a "mailing list" to pressure

members to
contribute to the campaign of some gool ol' boy or another.