Mic

Default Build-it-yourself wind generators - Mic

Non-marine or build-it-yourself wind generators:
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...tion.html#Wind

http://www.dragonflypower.com/DragonBlerb.htm
http://www.otherpower.com/
http://www.lookout2000.com/windpower/

"From Brian Engelke on SailNet liveaboard-list:
our DIY wind generator:

Just to show you all how easy this was: generator pics
Images of this build at
http://community.webshots.com/album/96862239oyxJMN

Body of generator - scrap acrylic plastic = vane blade
1 1/2" pvc and cap = vane blade arm
4" PVC and cap = motor body and end
scrap metal box fan hub = blade hub
1/4" x 3" x 24" wood = blade
scrap 2" whisker pole stock = mounting pole
scrap bimini 7/8" aluminum stock = mounting pole struts
scrap 30 VDC permanent magnet tape drive motor = generator motor
scrap industrial strength caster = pole/body swivel

The scrap motor came from www.siliconsalvage.com for $20. These motors
are great and charge at very low RPM. The rest of the parts I either
had or bought on sale and it totaled $95. I studied blade design on
the web and carved and sanded those from scratch. For this motor, the
sweep area of the blades showed that the blades needed to be 24" long
and tapered so the balance point if holding one on your finger should
be 25%-33% from the mounting end to the outside tip. This keeps the
centrifugal force working for you as opposed to slowing the blades
down. I also used a postage meter at work to sand them until they were
within .05 ounce of each other so at higher RPM they don't create
vibration and tear the whole unit apart! I am no genius, so anyone can
do this! The hardest part was definitely trying to get the mounting
pole level straight up and down on a rocking boat!!!"