posted to rec.boats.building
John Cassara

Default Advice required....Long or shortshaft??

2.54 cm = 1 inch

Set the cavitation plate even with the keel. You can then jack the motor up
as much as two inches. Be sure to run the boat allot at each position to
evaluate the handling!

wrote in message
Measure from the top of the transom (on which the outboard will sit)
to the bottom of the boat (outside distance). If it's 15', it's for a
short shaft motor. If it's 20" if for a long shaft motor.

Rick
PS ooops just realized your in the UK. What I gave you is U.S.
inches. Not sure how they measure it over there.

"Muttsdanglers" wrote:
I had been left a 15 foot speedboat when my uncle passed away that i
decided
to clean up and repair, but i knew nothing about it at all when i started
make repairs and get her ready to go back onto the water, anyway after
many
weekends of rubbing down, painting and cleaning in places i did not know a
boat even had places she is ready to go onto the water............. and i
still don't know who made her!!

But i have come across a problem but i cant seem to find any sites that
will
provide an answer.

How can i tell if this speedboat requires a long or shortshaft outboard??

Is there a measurement between the keel and mount that will give me the
answer??

Any help greatfully recieved.

TIA

Paul