Ted

Default RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

Personally, I'm still using GPS as my backup to check my visual/radar
fixes (which I consider to be more "real world" true) until all Charts
have been corrected using GPS/DGPS readings.

Bingo!

I've been lurking on this thread waiting for someone to bring up the
key problem with GPS: sure it's mighty-fine accurate, but it's just a
lat-lon, *useless* until related to navigational features of interest
somehow, usually by consulting a chart, electronic or paper.

All navigational systems need maps. All maps need frequent updating. GPS is
not an exception to that rule.

Some
things can't be accurately plotted, some deep-set buoys can swing on
their moorings by a half mile, for example.

If you have GPS why in the world are you navigating to buoys? GPS replaces
the need for a buoy.

What GPS has done is allow nitwits to navigate right on the money, most
of the time, and not develop other navigation skills.

Its appropriate that you understand the word "nitwit" after you tried to use
GPS to navigate to a buoy above.

Used to be natural selection took care of them sooner or later.
Cruising's going
to hell...

I was wondering why you were trying to make technical arguments when you
clearly have no technical understanding. Then this last sentence explained
it all. You just want to complain that the world is going to hell. Your
post is nothing more than an emotional outburst from an old washed up guy
who is growing angry. Everything else in your post should be ignored as
nonsensical.