posted to rec.boats.building

Default Advice required....Long or shortshaft??

Right. The principle should be the same as far as I know. Top of the
transom to the bottom. My guess, for a boat of that type and size,
it'll be 15" or a close millimeter equivalent, but measure to be sure.

You can adjust an outboard up or down a small amount to get the prop
and cavitation plate to the right depth. They all need a bit of
adjusment anyway. And with a jack plate, you can even mount a 25"
shaft on a 15" transom without rebuilding the transom although it
might (maybe) require some sort of transom reinforcement. Trying to
put a 20" shaft motor on a 25" transom would call for transom surgery
though.

Rick

"Muttsdanglers" wrote:
I'm sure there will be a convertion table i can use somewhere on the web

PhantMan wrote:
Measure from the top of the transom (on which the outboard will sit)
to the bottom of the boat (outside distance). If it's 15', it's for a
short shaft motor. If it's 20" if for a long shaft motor.

Rick
PS ooops just realized your in the UK. What I gave you is U.S.
inches. Not sure how they measure it over there.

"Muttsdanglers" wrote:
I had been left a 15 foot speedboat when my uncle passed away that i
decided
to clean up and repair, but i knew nothing about it at all when i started
make repairs and get her ready to go back onto the water, anyway after
many
weekends of rubbing down, painting and cleaning in places i did not know a
boat even had places she is ready to go onto the water............. and i
still don't know who made her!!

But i have come across a problem but i cant seem to find any sites that
will
provide an answer.

How can i tell if this speedboat requires a long or shortshaft outboard??

Is there a measurement between the keel and mount that will give me the
answer??

Any help greatfully recieved.

TIA

Paul