posted to rec.boats.building
Garland Gray II

Default how to finish seams of cored panels?

Evan,
When I taped the seam on my panel, I laid a piece of sheet plastic (that
epoxy wouldn't stick to)over the tape, and then squeegeed the excess resin
out. Flattened it out real well, like vacuum bagging I suppose. Fairing was
still a pain, but this helped.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a large supply of carbon fiber/Nomex honeycomb core aircraft panels
that will be turned into furniture aboard my catamaran.

I'm considering ways of finishing the external seams to minimize the
amount of fairing I will have to do. I'm going to be making up some test
pieces to break but this is what I've come up with as options for making
the right angle joints:

- all options filleted and taped with 1-2 layers 6 oz x 4" wide tape on
the inside of the seam (inside a locker or settee etc.)

- outside seam options:

1) round over, tape as above
2) glue on an L shaped wooden molding, about 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" length
3) 1) + 2) (cause the molding hides some of the tape)
4) my favourite so far: rebate one edge of inside layer of carbon and
core. Edge glue parts together so only small seam is visible. Like this:

panel 1
=========================
[ ]panel 2
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

I am not willing to consider veneer over top of the panels because I don't
think I will be able to do a good job, the extra expense, and mostly, the
extra weight. A painted finish will be good enough for me.

Thanks for any hints,

Evan Gatehouse