posted to rec.boats.building
Richard van den Berg

Default Bending SS Tubing

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:41:38 -0500 Joe Bleau
) wrote:
Anyone in this group had any experience bending SS tubing? I can do
basic welding of SS but am fuzzy on bending procedures. A couple of
tricks I have heard involve packing the tubing with sand and
construcing a wooden die to form the tubing.

The 25 mm dia, 1,5 mm thick tubes on this boat I bent myself
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/whitehorse/ The corner with a fixed radius
bender. After bending the corners I filled the tubes with "bird sand"
and towed the tubes together.

I can visualize construcing a wooden form to do the bending but I can
not visualize how to force the tube around the form. Perhaps one
could use a come along?

You know stainless, though as hell, it has to bend more than the disired
shape.

Suggestions appreciated.

Go to Glenn, I'm jalous on his bending machine. ;-)
Good luck.

--
Richard
http://www.inter.nl.net/users/schnecke/catharina/