Jere Lull

Default Through hull bedding

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

I just took out a leaking Signet Knotlog through hull and need to put
a new one in the hole with proper bedding. For some reason, the new
fitting has a slightly thinner flange. The original hole was also not
to the tolerances I would have liked to have found. The means that
there will be quite a bit of bedding compound behind the flange.

Having "unbedded" a few through hulls on Xan, I would WELCOME the "lack
of tolerance" in the hole. Where there was a thick layer of caulk, the
through-hull had to be cut out. When it was thin, the assembly spun
before I could even get the gate valve off. (They must have used 5200 or
similar.)

I don't recommend using anything "hard" like epoxy, as the hull expands
and contracts slightly over the year due to temperature and moisture
level. Put a plywood backing plate between the nut and hull, and let
some caulk get in there, but don't caulk the nut on.

--
Jere Lull