Jere Lull

Default Drive Saver/Spacer users sought

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote

I understand and "get" what you are saying about the drivesavers -
but years of use by others, successfully, makes me wonder why the
problems you cite/project don't make it so nobody uses them?

They aren't really a problem by themselves but sort of a band aid
solution for not doing it right in the first place.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting -- it's late and I'm catching up on 1400
messages -- but my post seems to be the genus of this.

Our Drivesaver is solely there to try to protect the engine and drive
shaft in the case of a wrapped mooring line or similar. We snapped a
shaft once. I only mentioned that it helped moderate vibration as a
slight benefit.

Every couple of years, I take the drivesaver out, check the alignment
and would correct if necessary, but it hasn't been.

BUT with the Yanmar's flexible mounts, there will be some misalignment
under some power loads, merely because the engine has shifted in its
mounts slightly due to torque.

I wasn't talking about the vibrations a 700 HP setup would generate. I
was talking about vibrations a sailor would notice, one who spent about
70 days out and about last season and who used a grand total of 13
gallons.

I may be hyper-sensitive to noise and vibration, but the drivesaver
makes my motoring time more enjoyable.... Okay, less objectionable.

--
Jere Lull