Roger Long

Default LED question

BF" wrote in message
... "Typical" half power
cone angle is roughly 30-40 deg included. So you will
illuminate the flag and will not see much side illumination.
BF

It depends what you mean by "much". I saw plenty last night. This is
for a boat that isn't racing under spinnaker at night so can start
back promptly. I didn't intend it to lead boats or aircraft to the
center of a several square mile search area. For a serious ocean
racer or fast power The primary purpose of the lights is to guide the
person in the water to the pole. I verified last night that they can
see it farther than anyone is likely to swim (in Maine temperatures
anyway).

For a serious ocean racer that might have to beat back a mile or two
after getting the spinnaker down, I probably would try for more side
illumination.

The key thing is getting the pole over very fast. Otherwise, it's just
a distraction leading you to the wrong place.

--

Roger Long