Peggie Hall

Default What's up with USCGAUX?

John Gaquin wrote:
See my response to Lou below

Obviously, the rules have changed since I was a member. But even then,
you couldn't just show up and join...you had to pass a test that took
all day just become a member, and then take additional courses and tests
to become qualified in various areas including various levels of crew,
then skipper for on-the-water operations, instructor, vessel examiner
(courtesy exams) etc...and then put in the required number of hours per
year and take additional courses and tests to remain qualified in each
area. Auxiliarists' vessels classified as "operations facilities"
could--and I'm assuming still can--be commandeered by the CG in time of
emergency. However, that's never happened....yet.

The only compensation any AUX gets is reimbursement of fuel costs for
on-the-water duty--but few if any members ever bother to ask for
it...possibly because the amount of additional paperwork required. Otoh,
fuel costs have gone up considerably since then, so more may be doing
so--and a flat per diem rate for out-of-town expenses...for instance,
when a bunch of my flotilla members on Lake Lanier who owned
trailerboats and any others who could go with 'em were asked to
volunteer to go to Charleston to help the CG after Hurricane Hugo.

Or has all that changed too?

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"