Larry DeMers

Default AC power idea for target practice

Another problem would be that the battery peforms as a huge capacitor
for the alternator. The waveforms out of the alternator are pulsing DC,
and the battery will tend to level this out to a straight DC level
which the inverter likes a lot. Without the battery in the circuit, the
alternator may not even start up, as it requires excitation voltage on
the field to start up with. I am not sure about how it will behave with
just pulsing DC for a source either.
Interesting though..anyone want to try it?

Larry DeMers

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:56:14 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

However, why not disconnect the alternator from the battery circuit
and run it to an inverter large enough to run the dual 10 amp battery
charger?

The alternator needs to always have a load on the output to keep the
voltage from going too high and burning out the diodes (integral to
the alternator). Normally the battery provides this constant load.
The risk is that your inverter might have a mode where it turns off in
some way, leaving the alternator unloaded, and leaving you looking for
a replacement. I'd leave the battery in the circuit, why take a
chance?