Len

Default Sewing Machine ,, Sailing,,, Repair ,, cloth,, etc question

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:47:38 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

I have been reading Don Casey's book about repair, and upkeep of sailing
yachts. He recommends getting a sewing machine so that sails, covers,
dodgers, etc can be repaired, made etc by the boat owner.
I don't know anything about sewing machines.
Where would I get one? How much should one cost? What brands are good? Is
this something I can get on ebay?

Becoming independant and self sustaining, thats what cruising is about
IMO and a sewing machine helps a lot.
I talked to a retired sewing machine mechanic/distributor and he
advised me to look for a Pfaff 360. A few months later I bought a
Pfaff 360 in very good shape for 150 euro's. In the old days sewing
machines were manufactered like they had to last for decades and guess
what, they do.
Needle pressure and zizag stitches are a must for sailcloth and that
can easily be tested. I bought sailcloth and thread at the local
sailmaker.

The only thing is that the arm off the Pfaff or any other heavy duty
"family-machine" is a bit short for big sails. When the damage is
located in the centre of my 55m2 main I probably can't reach the spot
and I will have to make the repair manually and look for a sailmaker
lateron. IMO chances are you will have more damage and wear at the
edges/eyes/top, etc.

Fair winds, Len.