Dennis Pogson

Default Sewing Machine ,, Sailing,,, Repair ,, cloth,, etc question

Don White wrote:
Thomas Wentworth wrote:
I have been reading Don Casey's book about repair, and upkeep of
sailing yachts. He recommends getting a sewing machine so that
sails, covers, dodgers, etc can be repaired, made etc by the boat
owner.

I don't know anything about sewing machines.

Where would I get one? How much should one cost? What brands are
good? Is this something I can get on ebay?

Any help ?

Thanks,

The machines he's talking about cost approx $1500.00
Fot the amount of sail repair you will encounter, I'd think getting
friendy with a good sailmaker may be more practical.

As an ex-sewing factory manager/director, I heartilly endorse that!

The domestic machines might sew spinnaker nylon with reasonable care, but to
punch through 4 thicknesses of 15-oz Dacron you need a heavy industrial
machine. Heavy machines need a BIG motor, usually 3/4 Horsepower, and very
special thread.

Most of the boats on round-the-world races carry such equipment, but as you
know, they are sponsored, and money is no object.

BTW, these industrial machines run at 80 to 100 stiitches per second. Think
you could control a machine at that speed?

I had such a machine in my garage for years, and I still used a sailmaker!

Dennis.