posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

Default Lost my VHF screw

"Howard" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Hello,

I have a VHF whip that mounts to my radar pedestal. The radar is on one
side and the other is a flat plate for mounting. I was having some
trouble with the VHF (poor reception) so I took the antenna off to check
the connection. When reinstalling the mounting screw/bolt jumped
overboard.

My question: Does anyone have a clue what size scew/bolt I need?

Yes, silly question with little info, but maybe............

The boat, with the antenna, is on the hard very far away (1,000 miles)
and not readily available for inspection.

The antenna mount is such:
The base of the antenna has a threaded hole.
There is a matching hole in the aluminim mounting plate.
The coax has the outter shield stripped back and the center conductor is
terminated in a ring connector.
The coax connection is covered with heat shrink.

I bought the boat with this arrangement so I have no first hand
experience with it.

It is a whip fiberglass antenna, maybe 8' long.

The antenna has no external markings indicating make.

Sent with cautious optomisim,

Howard

This may be useless information, but many US made antenna mounting
fixtures and whip attach bolts are 3/8" by 24 threads per inch.
What sounds alarming to me is that the type of connection I think you
are describing, and the length of the whip, make it sound an awful lot like
you are messing with a "marine" CB antenna. If that's the case, the VHF
radio would tend to be less than red hot.

Old Chief Lynn