Rich Hampel

Default Sewing Machine ,, Sailing,,, Repair ,, cloth,, etc question

Most repairs can be affected with a special grade (tubes) of "fast
Cure" 3M 5200 adhesive caulk. All you need is the dacron sail tape
in either 3" or 4" widths, a yard or two of Sunbrella in the typical
common colors, etc. etc. and some masking tape. I dont bother to carry
a sewing machine anymore, just a few tubes of Fast Cure 3M 5200 and
some 'remnants' of sail, etc. cloth, heavy waxed sail twine, sailmakers
hand needles and a 'sewing palm'.

If you have no experience in using such a machine, its best to 'start
out small' with a 'home zig zag machine' and make smalll repairs on
light weight cloth, etc. before investing in a 'good' sailmakers type
of machine .... no matter what the cost from ebay, etc.

In article _4gUf.1563$kB1.278@trndny07, Thomas Wentworth
wrote:

I have been reading Don Casey's book about repair, and upkeep of sailing
yachts. He recommends getting a sewing machine so that sails, covers,
dodgers, etc can be repaired, made etc by the boat owner.

I don't know anything about sewing machines.

Where would I get one? How much should one cost? What brands are good? Is
this something I can get on ebay?

Any help ?

Thanks,