posted to rec.boats.building
Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Material identification

These blocks and sheaves are on a 36 year old sailboat. Even a pair of
winches made by Gibb, England. They appear to be in pretty good condition.
Just the outer surface appears a bit weathered. Quite impressive, really.

Bob Swarts

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
Shortly after the last dinosaur roamed the earth, blocks and even a few
winches were made of a 'Tufnol', a composite of linen and phenolic.
IIRC, most of the manufacturers were English. Gibb and Tuffblox were two.
I thionk that the material is still available for use as an electric
insulator. Tro McMaster-Carr. I expect that it'll hold paint OK. What
kind of paint depends on how much time and money you want to inverst in
tarting up some very obsolete gear.

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the brownish or red-brownish material used

make blocks, sheaves and winches? I have heard Delrin suggested, but the
only kinds I can find are white and black. Also, can paint (what kind) be
used to finish it?

Thanks,
BS