Jeff

Default Sewing Machine ,, Sailing,,, Repair ,, cloth,, etc question

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
I have been reading Don Casey's book about repair, and upkeep of sailing
yachts. He recommends getting a sewing machine so that sails, covers,
dodgers, etc can be repaired, made etc by the boat owner.

I don't know anything about sewing machines.

Where would I get one? How much should one cost? What brands are good? Is
this something I can get on ebay?

Any help ?

Thanks,

Sailrite sells a very nice zig-zag, walking foot (the cloth is pulled
from both the top and bottom) machine for $600 to $950, depending on
options. This is sufficient for most basic canvas work, I've made a
storm sail, a riding sail, and various bits of canvas, plus assorted
repairs. This is not a true heavy duty machine that a canvas shop
would have, but its a good alternative thats a lot better than most
home machines for canvas work. Its sort of portable, and can be hand
cranked.

Several EBAY vendors sell the same machine for less - you might be
able to get one for $350, but then you don't get the various fixes by
Sailrite, and you miss out on great support. I went the EBAY route,
then got accessories (such as the big flywheel) from Sailrite.

However, if you've never used a sewing machine, you're probably better
off saving your money to pay the sail loft. Or at least you should
get a friend to help you with a small project to see if you have the
knack.