posted to rec.boats.building
Keith

Default Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade"

I don't know about ABYC standards, hopefully someone else does. When I
bought my 1986 Krogen in 2001, the initial surveyor required GFCI's in
the galley and heads. Said nothing about the engine room. The insurance
company also required them based on his recommendations. Fine.

At five years, the insurance company required another survey. This
surveyor recommended GFCI's be put in the engine room outlets, and the
insurance company concurred. Fine again. This still seems to be hit and
miss though... why didn't the first surveyor require them in the engine
room to begin with? Anyway, if I was doing a new build, I'd go ahead
and have them throughout. Of course, you could always have one
regular... just don't tell the surveyor!