posted to rec.boats.building
Ian Malcolm

Default Material identification

Richard Lamb wrote:
Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

Can anyone tell me the name of the brownish or red-brownish material
used to make blocks, sheaves and winches? I have heard Delrin
suggested, but the only kinds I can find are white and black. Also,
can paint (what kind) be used to finish it?

Thanks,
BS

Micarta?

Over here at least its definately TUFNOL
http://www.tufnol.co.uk/ and look for fabric laminates (their original
product)

There isn't a lot you can do to restore weathered tufnol unless you are
willing to cover it with opaque paint, (which doesnt tend to stick very
well unless you do a lot of surface prep first) but if you polish it
occasionally, it will take years to weather enough to loose strength.

It was the first high tech composite used for boat fittings and IMHO for
general use where durability and performance are more important than
minimal size or weight saving, its still one of the best.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.