posted to alt.sailing.asa
NotPony

Default bogUS Sailing is NOT the governing body of the sport.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
: Steve, I don't think he is there any more. I
didn't say he
: was a CP instructor--he probably was. He did
serve as
: BK/BC IT outside of the Naval Academy for US
Sailing
: commerical keelboat school. Give me a call or
pass your
: phone number to Doug and I'll tell you whatever
you want
: to know.

You can find my email address and email me.
That's probably the best way to get me.

:
: Tell me Steve, do you think a keelboat
instructor needs
: to take yet another certification course to
teach small
: boats? I don't. That issue alone turned me
away from
: volunteering at one location.

I do. Most keel boat sailors I know haven't a
clue about capsizing or weight placement.

:
: Do you think that every single certification
required
: that someone take an evaluation course? The
purpose
: of which is to make money? Should there not be
: process where a committee review is sufficient
: grant such status? Take the Naval Academy guy.
: It was presumed he was passed and he was not
: evaluated to the same standard as I was. In my
: opinion, he probably could have shown he taught
: such courses, document this fact and be able to
: submit a resume to place out of such a
requirement.

I do. How else are you going to evaluate their
skills? Take their word for it? Most people I
know over estimate their skills.
:
: Certainly if the presumption is everyone should
be
: evaluate to the same standard, they should all
be
: treated exactly the same. Everything should be
: above board. If it's not, it needs to be fixed.
: Those at fault need to be removed from such
: authority.
:
: Given the close similarities between ASA and
bogUS
: Sailing's keelboat programs, do you think ASA
: certified instructor need to re-qualify for US
Sailing?
: I don't.

I don't know anything about the requirements for
ASA's keel boat instructors.

:
: Do you think less qualified people should be
: evaluating those with more comprehensive sailing
: resumes? I don't.

It depends. I know there are more qualified
sailors than me who have far less teaching
ability.

:
: Do you think a high percentage of the IT's
should come
: from one sailing school? I don't.

Doesn't matter as long as they meet the standard.
:
: Do you think a man who runs a commercial sailing
: school should be the training chair? I don't.

Who better to understand the training
requirements? Would a pencil pusher be better
qualified?

:
: Do you think commercial sailing instructor's
deserve
: their own representation at US Sailing? I do.

I might have an opinion if I were in a commercial
venture.

:
: You say there are lots of opportunities for
feedback
: on the small boat side. Why then is there a gap
in the
: grievance process in the By-Laws for
instructors?

Talk to your RTC.

:
: The bottom line is it seems most sailor wants to
think
: they are better than most everyone else. I've
seen it
: in racing crews, I've seen it in US Sailing.
You have
: so many ego's trying to drive others down in the
pecking
: order. What happened to developing skills?

That's why there are instructor evaluations.

:
: I've said it many times in the past. You have
to be
: humble if you want to learn. US Sailing needs
: develop some humility.
:
:

S.

: "NotPony" wrote
: Bart, who is this Navy guy who is now a CP
: instructor? Cmdr. Vandenberg is the Director
of
: the NA's sailing program, and he isn't a CP
: instructor. In fact, I don't see anyone in the
: list that is associated with the NA.
: I don't know about the keelboat side, but in
the
: small boat training side, there are many
: opportunities for the instructors and host
site to
: be critiqued.
: S.
: