Roger Long

Default Hey Larry (or anyone else with IC expertises)

Yes, there is the little circuit board you can see he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/MOB.htm

If you put the voltage directly to it, it is steady.

I think it was probably defective before I started tinkering with it.
I forgot before I posted that I hadn't tested it as it came out of the
box.

I just determined that one board handles two LED's so I'm just wiring
them up in series. That will actually be better. The other way would
have provided some redundancy but the light wouldn't really have
appeared to flash but just change intensity. This will be much
clearer.

The LED's are very bright but the beam is focused. I'm going to aim
them both up the pole, one on each side, for 360 degree coverage. The
side lobe will be plenty bright on a dark night and the focused beams
should shine on the white shaft and up to the flag making the while
thing quite recognizable and visible.

--

Roger Long

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

What do you think gives?

Are there any external components to make it flash or do they just
reverse
the polarity on the LED, itself? Some LEDs have their own IC
controller
built right into them.

What's usually wrong with these types of devices is simply the
Chinese
slaves ran them through the solder pot too fast and the biggest
pins, the
ones on the LEDs, themselves, didn't get soldered properly,
resulting in
intermittent operation after the cold solder joint corrodes.

A friend of mine gave me a clear plastic jumbo LED at breakfast the
other
morning. He said to just put 6V to it and see how I liked it. He
bought
them directly from China on some webpage for 50 cents each. MAN!
That
thing is twice as bright as a two cell flashlight and nicely focused
into a
flashlight beam! He had a smaller one from the same place that
wasn't
quite as bright but in a much smaller LED standard package. Both of
them
have amazing intensity on two little Lithium button batteries in
series....
I housed the big one in a little plastic box with 4 AAA alkalines
that
should run it for a long long time. Whole thing hides in your hand.