posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Brian Nystrom

Default Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
oups.com...

John, will you please stow that kind of talk until they stop taxing
people without kids, to pay for schools?

Yeah...that'll work. Elderly voters in my school district tried it. They'd
come to town & school board meetings and complain about school taxes, and
how they didn't think it was fair to them to pay for extracurricular
activities. In the same breath, they'd bitch about how "kids just hang
around in gangs, all aimless & stuff, with nothin' to do, and then they get
in trouble. Something's gotta be done!"

As someone who doesn't have or want kids, I see it from a different
perspective. While I'm willing to contribute to the common good, why
should I have to do so at the same rate as someone who thinks it's cool
to pop out 4 or 5 kids? For that matter, why should anyone get a tax
DEDUCTION for having kids? Those who consume the most in services should
pay the most in taxes. If you don't force people to pay their own way,
they don't learn personal responsibility and they don't think about the
consequences of their (reproductive) actions. The welfare system taught
us that, in spades.

The government gives people with hybrid vehicles a tax break. Why
shouldn't someone who uses a bicycle instead get an even larger one? Not
only do they use zero fossil fuel and create dramatically lower
emissions, but the environmental cost of building, maintaining and
disposing of their vehicle is several orders of magnitude lower. People
who don't own cars at all should get an even bigger break. As much as I
like cars, need a car and actually enjoy driving, it's pretty obvious
that our priorities are majorly screwed up.