posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

Default Raymarine Raytech RNS 6.0

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Don't worry about it. We use non-ferrous screw terminals and they (the
multiplexers) have been tested in a salt mist and spray test for 28
days at 95% hum. and 35 degr. C. There was almost no corrosion found.

What do they look like after 28 days of spray test when connected to
COPPER WIRES. Noone's multiplexer is just connected to air. Put the
copper wires into the little holes and spray some seawater on them and
wait 28 days.....for the electrolysis to take hold...(c;

Nickel and copper are very close regarding electro potential, so there's not
enough voltage generated for electrolysis.

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...ct?C=11526&F=0
&M=CINF&GIID=1293&LG=1&I=13
These. I really like these. Cheap cars use them, boats can afford them.

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...ct?C=20018&F=0
&M=CINF&GIID=2198&LG=1&I=13

The problem with these connectors is that they are cheap in high volumes. No
ordinary distributor stock these.

Just some CHEAP, WATERPROOF, real connectors with STRAIN RELIEF so the
screw terminals aren't supporting the wires vibrating around in the
waves.

The wires should be mechanically supported anyway.

What are we talkin'....$3/unit?

We are currently paying around $1.50 for the terminals. The moment you start
using something "fancy", the price increases quite a lot.

Damn the shovin the wires under the cheap screw terminals. We left that
in the 1920's.....

That's nonsense and you know that.

Meindert