posted to rec.boats.building
Bob

Default Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade"

Hi All:

With my bilge system complete I have turned to gutting my 120 VAC shore
power system.

I went to West Marine 2006 catalogue, page 546, item C, Marinco 120 VAC
15 Amp Receptacle. Cost: $32.99 each plus shipping.

So I thought that must be an excellent "marine grade" outlet. Next, I
went to the Marinco website and checked the specs. Wow, solid brass
terminals and zinc plated steel strap. That certainly is the way to go
on a boat. And besides my 120 AC shore power outlet is actually located
"below the water line." I need ten 15 Amp outlets. That should be
about $329.90 plus 10-13 bucks in shipping. Considering that nothing is
more important than the safety of my family and passengers, I better go
with the marine designed outlet.

So I though are there any other 15 amp receptacles that might be
comparable to a "Marine Grade" Marinco outlet from West Marine?

Try this:

Leviton 120 VAC, 15 Amp (#8200-Ivory)
Hospital Grade Receptacle
All metal is solid brass with nickel plate. (Interesting, the Marinco
didn't have nickel plate. Just bare brass.)
Nylon face

Total price when quoted from Platt Electric, a PNW commercial
electrical supply......
$7.00 each. Oh, and they deliver for free!

Lets see........$70.00 total compared to $340.00 plus.

What do you think? Do I dare use a non marine grade electrical outlet
for under the water line applications just to save a few cents? Naa.
Better not risk it.

Bob.