Larry

Default Atomic 4 Gas Engine Cooling Question ,,,

rhys wrote in news:d42u125tg01hqe3uqr8ng49hludjkbgnqd@
4ax.com:

I'm in fresh water, Larry, and use raw water with a 180 F Holley
thermostat in the usual spot on the head of the A4. I usually top out
at 175 F when at cruising speed, which means a fair bit of hot water
is going out the stern. I will mull on this to figure out if there's a
way to do this with as few restrictions as possible. Your stepvan unit
is cruder, but cheaper, and I can think of a few places it would fit.
I can also think of using ganged muffin fans and copper tubing, but
again, this might be a custom job. Most people want A/C, but in Lake
Ontario, late April-June and late September to haulout in late
October, it's hard to keep the cabin warm when underway.

R.

Screw it to the cabin floor right up against the bulkhead under the
table. Air goes in the top of it, through the fan, down through the
radiator then comes out of any or all of the 3 doors that open and close
to control where the heat is blown along the cold, cold deck. Wouldn't
that be nice on a cold morning, warm air blowing up under the breakfast
table from the toasty-warm decking your bare feet are enjoying?...(c;

If you get one, do what I did, and get the fan speed rheostat from the
heater parts webpage. This allows you to run the fan at whatever speed
you desire, which also controls Btu output of course, to just the right
level. Too warm? No problem....simply turn the fan speed down. After
warming the initially-cold cabin, you can turn the fan way down until you
can barely hear it run. That's how I run mine...(c;

Run wide open, this heater will absorb so much heat from the cooling
system of a 6.2L GM diesel V-8 riding around the city...the thermostat
doesn't open! I can actually make the temperature guage DROP unless the
engine is running over 25 mph!