posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Oci-One Kanubi

Default Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

John, will you please stow that kind of talk until they stop taxing
people without kids, to pay for schools? Or reduce the income, sales,
and property taxes of people who don't drive? I mean this cheesy,
chintzy business of "I'll pay for this but I don't use that is just so
lame." Let the legislators fund everything that contributes to the
common good, and let us all pay a share of it. Easy. Over and done
with. No bull**** "special use fees" or any of that other "let's
license [whatever], to generate revenues" crap.

And if they don't charge "special use" fees, then you don't get
situations such as that where Marylanders have to pay to visit
Pennsylvania State Parks, but Pennsylvanians can visit Maryland State
Parks for free. Let the PA gubmint fund what it thinks is important
for the common good; if that doesn't include state parks then, at
least, they won't be screwing out-of-state visitors whose home states
don't screw Pennsylvanians in return. [PS, this was a bogus,
hypothetical example, though it does happen with PA's boat-launch
permits, even though PAians don't have to pay to launch on MD streams]

font face="courier"pre
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net cell: 301.775.0471
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu office: 336.713.5077
/pre/font

John Fereira wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote in

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks
much longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the
$3 launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

It sounds like one of those fees that costs more to enforce, collect
and administer than it generates in revenues.

Either that or state taxes will be going up for everyone to provide funds to
maintain a boat ramp for those that want to use it.