Ken Heaton

Default Atomic 4 Gas Engine Cooling Question ,,,

This is a setup similar to a automotive heater. A very small water coil
(looks like a little car radiator) is in a cabinet with a fan. It draws air
from the cabin, blows it through the water coil and back out into the cabin
area. No air is drawn from the engine area. The water coil is in the
coolant line that takes the hot water from the engine to the heat exchanger
so it get the heat out of the water before the heat exchanger gets rid of
it.

Here is an example:
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...p?catalogid=29
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"rhys" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:32:45 GMT, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
newsmKRf.1470$%b.892@trndny04...
Roger ,, couldn't you set up a fan unit to take the heat out of the
engine
coolant in the winter? Like a radiator in a car?

Then, you could have a warm boat.

This seems extreme though. Are you this hard core?

I have a friend with this exact setup in a Viking 33 with a fresh water
cooled Atomic 4. No water heater though. He gets heat quickly and it is
effective for keeping the boat warm while the engine is running.

As I have a Viking 33 with an Atomic 4, I'd be interested in how this
is set up in a way that doesn't counteract the blower venting the
engine compartment.

I don't have chronic crankcase fumes as it's a freshly rebuilt engine,
but if I'm on a downwind motorsail, I do smell it a bit in the cabin.

In other words, how do you leach off the heat without the fumes?

R.