posted to rec.boats.paddle
riverman

Default Drysuit repair and alteration experience.

"Hanta-Yo-Yo" wrote in message
oups.com...

riverman wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

With waders, you can easily swim if they are filled with water, with
any
amount of water in them. In fact, its a bit easier to move if they have
large volumes of water in them, as the waders don't constrict your body
so
much.

Yowp. I misstated, not having reread my experiment report before I posted
here. With waders, it is EASIER to swim when they are dry, as the water
pressure keeps the fabric pressed tightly to your body and you have no
interference. Once they have some water in them, they 'billow' and its
like
trying to run with oversized jeans on. Not impossible, but harder.

--riverman

I would expect that being in a pool, and being in fast running WW would
also make a huge difference. The moving water would be pulling you down
at a much higher rate than the weight of gravity keeping you from
getting out of the pool. HYY

I'm not sure of the meaning of your post, HAA. Are you stating that a full
drysuit will 'pull you under'?

When you are immersed in the water, you have neutral buoyancy...drysuit or
not, full or not, and moving water or not. If your suit is full of water,
you have much higher mass, therefore you cannot change direction, catch an
eddy, or hold on to a handhold so easily, but there shouldn't be any new
forces trying to submerge you.

Moving water doesn't 'pull you down', it only moves you around. The
increased mass would equally tend to keep you from being submerged by a
swirly as it would prohibit you swimming to the surface when you were under.
The primary deleterious effect of having water in your drysuit is that you
cannot get out of the water, and that you are a large mass on the end of a
throwline.

--riverman