posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Raymarine Raytech RNS 6.0

"marv" wrote in news:1142658011.419723.50050
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

www.nolandengineering.com

http://www.nolandengineering.com/nm42.php

Yep...There it is. The only difference I see is the serial port has a
DB9 hanging by its pins out of the potted plastic box, now, instead of
all the wires. The rest of the little screw-terminals-to-crush-wires-
with remain, hardly a "marine" unit, what with all the copper wires and
who-knows-what-metal screw terminals electrolyzing themselves in the
humidity.

Wonder if the routing got any better? If you had the computer connected,
the "OUT" data pins had data on them, not from the 4-input ports properly
multiplexed...but from the serial port input from the computer. UNPLUG
the computer (make believe Windoze went tits up, a real possibility at
any moment), and the OUT port is DEAD! No, if you want to get
multiplexed data out of it with no computer connected to it, Noland tells
you to connected your NMEA (RS-422 level) instruments to the SERIAL PORT
OUTPUT (RS-232 isn't NMEA RS-422 levels)! I have a little toggle switch
in my helm-to-nav terminating box next to the Noland that switches from
COMPUTER to NO COMPUTER by connecting the network to OUT if the computer
is connected and to the SERIAL PORT OUTPUT terminal if no computer is on
the system. Dumb? I thought so. I wonder if this unit is still
connected that way, too stupid to know how to switch it when you shut
down the computer. Inside, it would only take single switch to do it
automatically....go figure.

(Meindert! Wipe that knowing smile off your face!)

Looks like same unit as ours to me, except for the DB9 hanging out of it
not properly mounted to anything.