posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B.

Default The Solar Panel Simulator!

"Doug" wrote:

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
. ..
SNIP
Last time I took my son in for a fresh prescription, I wound up in an
arguement with the occularist who doubles as a dispensing optometrist in
his "studio" about the benefits of polarised clip on magnetic sunglasses
as opposed to the 100 dollar "UV protecting" non-polarised patented
mounting stylish crap he was pushing. He actually drew me out for about 5
minutes in his office in front of customers, refusing to believe that
polarised were possibly worth about 50 bucks or less, while the UV dark
lenses he was offering were not actually worth any more than dime store
shades.

I went out to my truck to get my polarised sailing glasses to demonstrate,
wherupon he lost interest in the discussion. My 18 year old son was
mortified, probably still is.

Strangely, polarised glasses and mirrors do not get along very well, nor
do they with LCD displays.

Terry K

Many of the LCD displays, such as radar and chart plotters, have a
polarizing overlay
already on the from thefactory. Wearing polarizing glasses does work to well
as you have discovered.

When I was a student aircraft pilot I soon found out that clip on or snap
down polarized sunglasses on
my regular perscription glasses when flying into the sun resulted in some
real pretty rainbow patterns and
not much visability through the plexiglass airplane window. All the stresses
from heat forming the curved
plexiglass window became visible with the polarizing glass in place.

Doug K7ABX

Turning your head 90 deg may help to be able to see the instruments.

grandma Rosalie