posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Which fluxgate compass and rudder sensor for Raymarine model 100 autopilot

"Paul" wrote in
:

Larry,

Thanks for digging into this. I've already got a B&G fluxgate compass
hooked to the Pilot, and while I am pleased with the performance I'm
curious to see if the data from the gyro might tighten up the pilot
response. Running downwind with the swells, in near-surfing conditions
gives the pilot a real workout. (not that my heavy-displacement
saiboat can actually surf...)

Us, too. The B&G compass works better than the Raymarine SHS compass.
It's just more stable. They are mounted about 5' from each other as near
centerline as I can get.

I don't think any of them work in the swells very well. They don't seem
to have an autopilot that has enough AI to anticipate the swells. The
gyro only is concerned with heading and there is no output that deals
with heel angle changes, altitude variations of the hull going up and
down, roll or pitch. The fluxgate's much faster input, directly
connected, gives it yaw input, but I think even that is way too slow for
the fast yaws in the swells and wind driven waves. Maybe someday one
will come out with a real gyro in 3 axis, but it's not here, yet.

I am using the RAM-2 drive, and the linear rudder-position sensor. I
don't recall any hose clamps on the position sensor, but I'll admit
that I don't remember exactly how it is connected to the RAM or rudder
arm. In any case, I haven't had any trouble with it slipping. I've
not got the remote control, but am tempted -- unless I decide to
upgrade everything first.

Look at how the linear position sensor is attached to the ramdrive.
There are some metal spacers then they run these big hoseclamps around
the two at these spacers. Eventually it works loose. The mounting
arrangement simply sucks. B&G doesn't make the sensor. It's a 3rd party
manufactured, outsourced box. Of course, when it finally slips, not only
does it slide linearly, but the body of the sensor rotates, which screws
up its resistance because you rotate it to calibrate it in the first
place. Poorly designed mount that needs replacement.

I've got Raymarine chartplotters at the helm and navstation, a
Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor, and a Raymarine 4KW radome on the
mast. Then there's the B&G Network stuff: Pilot, Speed, Wind, Depth.
I am sending the NMEA data from the B&G to the Raymarine through the
Raymarine seatalk converter box, but haven't yet started sending data
from the chartplotter to the pilot. Some days I want to hook it all
together, other days I want to keep things separate do they can't drag
each other down. Unfortunately, the Raymarine can't decode the B&G
wind data (wrong flavor NMEA).

Our Seatalk is the Raystar 120 WAAS/GPS, SHS, RL70CRC display/plotter and
CRAPPY 2KW radome that rots to hell every year and a half because it
breathes in moisture every night like a half-full gas tank and it rains
on the potmetal chassis just corroding the hell out of all the
unprotected electronics. Even the maggie rots with rust in there. We're
on our 3rd 2KW radome. Ever had your radome off since installation?
It's not us. Other Raymarine radomes in our marina are all in the same
situation...rotten inside. Electronically, two things happen. Rotation
fails or receiver sensitivity seems to go to hell, range drops, from the
rotting waveguide in the transmitter, rusting maggie power dropping and
the little flat PC board antenna corrodes up in the internal rainstorm.

I am also sending all NMEA data to a Shipmodul bluetooth NMEA mux,
bluetoothing to a PocketPC, where some programs I've written do
automatic logging, alarms, AIS, etc. I am using the PocketPC rather
than the laptop to keep the power consumption down. The laptop gets
fired up for route planning, radiofax, and SailMail radio email (and
for watching DVDs).

Cap'n Geoffrey bought the Noland multiplexer in a deal with Sailnet
before I took the project over. I didn't know Meindert or Shipmodul at
the time or I would have returned it and got his just because he has
fantastic support, even on this newsgroup. The laptop is a Dell
Latitude, a new one at the nav and the old one just running as a repeater
if the captain is in the aft cabin....or to show off, of course, for
guests...(c;

Lionheart has two banks of L-16H beasts. Lots of reserve power to run
laptops. Sailing instruments are all B&G Network, as is the Pilot. Of
course, B&G had to change that to increase "box sales" to get rid of the
standardized NMEA statements running in the Network wires. I'm glad we
don't have new B&G networks to deal with. Too bad, however, the old B&G
Network instruments are all version 1.5 NMEA 0183, not V2 or 3.

I'm a ham, W4CSC. A friend in Charleston runs HF phone patches for us
and checks emails. He's a great spam filter...(c;

The notebooks are also MP3 and DivX players. I have millions of files
from downloading alt.binaries for many years. Lionheart watched Master
and Commander 6 days before it came out in theatres..(c;

I agree, marine electronics is fun. Sometimes to maintain the
appropriate perspective I have to remind myself that the boat sails
just fine without any of it!

I'm just poor and lucky. Cap'n Geoffrey loves the toys. Sometimes I
just show up and he's already gotten a new box and says, "Can we (meaning
me usually) hook up this to the network?" Of course we can... He refers
to me as Lionheart's "Chief Engineer" to the guests. He used to try to
pay me, but my constant refusals finally paid off. I told him my pay was
simply to sail with him, more paycheck than I'd ever want. It's been a
great arrangement for both of us.