posted to rec.boats.building
DSK

Default Atomic 4 cooling question ???

Don't forget, there are many mid size, and larger cruising sailboats that
don't even have an engine. Never mind a heat exhanger.

No ENGINE? How do they make loud noise & pollute the air?
Not having an engine is un-American!

Wayne.B wrote:
Frankly I don't think you'll get too far in a 30 something boat
without an engine. Lin and Larry Pardey used to row their 24
supposedly, but in well over 30 years of cruising I've never seen
anyone do it.

I disagree, you can go anywhere without an engine that you
can go with one... you just need more skill & patience. For
a person who has raced engineless one-designs for years,
it's no biggy... OTOH that person will also recognize when
conditions are not favorable to sail up to the dock, and
anchor out instead. For a persons whose sailing skills are
more limited, the "no engine" option is just a high brow
overly-moralistic way to justify damaging your (and probably
other peoples) boat(s).

As for Lin & Larry Pardey, they get towed a lot. Of course,
you won't see in their books that they often tack back &
forth at the entrance to channels, begging passing vesels
for a tow.

The fact is: many on the people who spend their lives cruising throughout
the world never spend $500 on about anything. They live and sail very
simply.

This is in those plywood boats with blue tarps for sails, right?

Perhaps, but that has not been my experience however. When I'm
cruising the money seems to flow like water beneath the keel. That's
not a complaint, just a fact.

Complaint?!?? I thought you were bragging!

Most of our friends have spent at least double what they
planned on outfitting their boat. We haven't but then we
made up a rather lavish budget and have since trimmed some
items.

Then again, some people are rather strange about what
they'll consider "expensive." A $150K boat is not too
expensive, but spending the night in a $75 marina is. A $9k
RIB with an outboard is not too expensive, a $3800 rowing
dink is. Etc etc etc.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King