posted to rec.boats.electronics
Paul

Default Which fluxgate compass and rudder sensor for Raymarine model 100 autopilot

"Larry" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in
:

Larry,

How did you connect the Smart Heading Sensor to the B&G Network Pilot?
I've got both of these (I'm using the Raymarine "gyro" to stabilize
the radar display and MARPA functions), but looking at the B&G manuals
I can't figure out how to attach the gyro input. The NMEA data
decoded by the Pilot doesn't include the ROT sentences

The SHS is Seatalk and connected to the RL70CRC display, which does the
translation to NMEA 0183 which it dutifully outputs to our Noland
Multiplexer with all the other Seatalk data that's turned on in the menu
of the RL70CRC's firmware. One of the loads on the output of the
multiplexer is the Network Pilot's NMEA input hooked to the master data
output bus.

In researching your question, as it has been a long time ago since I
installed this system, I looked into the Network Pilot Installation
Manual on:
http://www.bandg.com/pdfs/networkpil...tionmanual.pdf

It says on page 1-9 that Pilot uses:
"The Network PILOT uses the follow data from NMEA:
Cross Track Error (XTE), Speed Over Ground (SOG), Bearing: current
position to destination waypoint, Bearing: origin waypoint to destination
waypoint, Distance: current position to waypoint
Waypoint number
The following NMEA sentences are decoded, Note $ID is any NMEA
talker:
$IDAPA XTE, bearing origin to destination waypoint
$IDAPB XTE, bearing origin to destination waypoint,
bearing to waypoint
$IDRMB XTE, bearing and distance to waypoint
$IDXTE XTE
$IDVTG Speed over Ground
$IDBWR Bearing and Distance to waypoint rhumb,
waypoint number
$IDBWC Bearing and Distance to waypoint great circle,
waypoint number"

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/S.../Autopilots/81
198_1www.pdf
Over on the Smart Heading Sensor manual, page 32 in the specs, it says
the SHS puts out v2.3's $APHDM statement the v1.5 Network Pilot does not
read....hmm....

Now, I'm wondering if what Network Pilot is getting is a translated $ID
statement from The Cap'n, which digests the data from the multiplexer
before spitting out NMEA data to the bus. The possibility exists that
RL70CRC's chart plotter is also digesting SHS's $APHDM into other
statements before putting them on the NMEA bus, too. Both $ID and $AP
statements are continuously buzzing by on the main bus, and it does seem
to make the turns much smoother from the Pilot when SHS is online through
the RL70CRC plotter's firmware when a turn is forced upon it.

Or, SHS's data may never get to Pilot and Pilot is simply running on its
stored rate-of-turn data it keeps updating every time it turns the boat,
internally, which is also in the Pilot manual....??

By the way, which actuator and rudder position sensor are you using?
I've had some trouble keeping the hose clamped linear position sensor
tight to the linear actuator on Lionheart's installation. The clamps
seem to work loose over time as the linear sensor's mechanics don't seem
to be in perfect alignment, no matter what we do, as the plunger goes in
and out. When the hose clamps let it slip, of course, Pilot goes crazy
with the bad rudder position data.

Are you using the remote control on Pilot, too, and what do you think of
its operation?

A boat can never have too many electronic boxes or data statements...(c;

Larry,

Thanks for digging into this. I've already got a B&G fluxgate compass
hooked to the Pilot, and while I am pleased with the performance I'm curious
to see if the data from the gyro might tighten up the pilot response.
Running downwind with the swells, in near-surfing conditions gives the pilot
a real workout. (not that my heavy-displacement saiboat can actually
surf...)

I am using the RAM-2 drive, and the linear rudder-position sensor. I don't
recall any hose clamps on the position sensor, but I'll admit that I don't
remember exactly how it is connected to the RAM or rudder arm. In any case,
I haven't had any trouble with it slipping. I've not got the remote
control, but am tempted -- unless I decide to upgrade everything first.

I've got Raymarine chartplotters at the helm and navstation, a Raymarine
Smart Heading Sensor, and a Raymarine 4KW radome on the mast. Then there's
the B&G Network stuff: Pilot, Speed, Wind, Depth. I am sending the NMEA
data from the B&G to the Raymarine through the Raymarine seatalk converter
box, but haven't yet started sending data from the chartplotter to the
pilot. Some days I want to hook it all together, other days I want to keep
things separate do they can't drag each other down. Unfortunately, the
Raymarine can't decode the B&G wind data (wrong flavor NMEA).

I am also sending all NMEA data to a Shipmodul bluetooth NMEA mux,
bluetoothing to a PocketPC, where some programs I've written do automatic
logging, alarms, AIS, etc. I am using the PocketPC rather than the laptop
to keep the power consumption down. The laptop gets fired up for route
planning, radiofax, and SailMail radio email (and for watching DVDs).

I agree, marine electronics is fun. Sometimes to maintain the appropriate
perspective I have to remind myself that the boat sails just fine without
any of it!

-Paul
S/V VALIS - PSC44 #16 - Sausalito, California