BF

Default The answer on jib sheets

Okay, see your point. Lets complicate matters a bit then.
One quite short line with a largish eye in one end that's looped through the
cringle and a smaller eye at the other end. Now splice the two sheets to
this smaller eye with the smallest of eyes.
Should pull across the shrouds cleanly.
BF

"Roger Long" wrote in message
You wouldn't want to pull on an eye splice that way. It would be very
prone to coming apart.

--

Roger Long

"BF" wrote in message
Roger,
A thought, maybe your original intent, don't know. Anyway, being
slow it
just occurred to me.
Make up one sheet with your largish eye splice that get threaded
through the
cringle and doubled back.
Make up another sheet that has its eye splice through the first
sheet's eye
splice. (I'm assuming this is possible never having come close to
mastering
double braid splicing)
This has the potential of reducing the mass of line to pull across
the
shrouds.
BF

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote
Is it my imagination or is the second sheet captured only by a
loop
of the first, and thus could pull it apart? I'm sure there's a
way
of avoiding this ... but it illudes me right now.

It's your imagination (or lack thereof right at this moment). Both
loops are held by their own standing parts. It's hard to convey in
the pictures but will be come clear if you fiddle with a couple of
spliced loops.

BTW I know that most of you don't have problems with bowlines and
other knots hanging up on the shrouds. I don't either when I'm
sailing alone or with an experienced crew. A lot of my sailing is
with people, often kids, that I'm trying to talk through the
process
and poor timing of the steering and line handling makes a big
difference. I hate to see that wincher grinding for all he or she
is
worth when all the strain is being taken by the foreward lowers as
try to get the hesitant helmsman to give her another quarter turn.

--

Roger Long