Gould 0738

Default Common courtesy?

Oops, no. A boat wake will dissipate over distance.

Agreed, but how far away would a boat (of unknown displacement and running
characteristics) travelling 28 knots need to pass a stationary vessel in order
to avoid
"rocking" it at all? We don't know what the characteristics of the poster's
boat might be, but in many cases the answer would be " well over a mile."

Your math on the 2-3 foot waves failed to mention the period and the energy.
As I'm sure you're aware, 2 foot waves can be barely noticed or be quite an
event depending on the period. The energy would also be an important factor.
Wave height alone is insufficient information upon which to base a
conclusion.

I'd be interested to hear you theory about how one 2-foot wave differs in
energy content from the next, on the same body of water and if wind and current
are the same.

As far as period goes, it's hard to imagine wakes stacking up any denser than
the short vertical chop, (crests merely a few feet apart), that accumulates in
many inland waterways and harbors. Wakes generated by boats running an
identical course in close proximity and a common speed will all approach a
fixed point at
a similar angle.

The situation described isn't as tough as
some. Try dealing with a wake from a monster container ship that passed maybe
1/2 mile away coming from one angle, and
a wall of water generated by an over-powered, underbrained, sportfisherman
passing far too close abeam from another. Sometimes maneuerving to take one
wake properly leaves you badly exposed to the other. :-)

I had to take marks off for that, otherwise a good effort. B-