posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Another kayak roof rack question

Hello all,

I've searched and searched but nothing seems to hit my questions
exactly. I currently drive a Scion xA and am looking to install a
Yakima roof rack. I am also in the market for two single person kayaks.
The crossbars for the Yakima rack are 48", is that enough room for two
kayaks? I believe the carrying capacity is 168lbs.

If not, my next option would be inflatables or folding kayaks. Could
anyone offer any insight to a fairly inexpensive decent inflatable? I'm
not looking to cover more than class1-2 rapids, and most likely just
paddling around flat water. I had seen a Coleman Sport 1-person, and a
Challenger K-1 inflatable, but folks on another kayaking website said
they were garbage. Any ideas? I caught the bug after renting some
kayaks and doing about 8 miles down the Shenendoah, and I'd love to own
my own even with my diminutive automobile.

Thanks a million!
Dominic