posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
derbyrm

Default Cooler testing question for Richard K.

This doesn't sound like the way to have a cheap cooler.

My conscience says "three bucks" every time I add an ounce of epoxy resin to
the mixing pot. (System Three prices)
Fiberglass isn't cheap either.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
link.net...
Larry wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
I want you to add one more cooler to the test......

Go down to the dollar stores and buy the biggest cheap
styrofoam cooler, the one that just styrofoam and $6 you
can find.

Test it to and it'll wipe the nose of all the others....(c;

Floats, too, even fulla beer!...(c;

And they can make a interesting fiberglass practice project.
Ultimate Beer Cooler Project:
Select a cheap Styrofoam cooler.
Using 5 ounce BID, and epoxy resin (!), glass micro balloons,
and chopper cotton fiber --- cover the cooler.

Plan on 4 layers on the bottom, 3 on the out sides, and 2 insides
and 4 on the floor(!). 1" overlaps typical.

2 layers BID on the lid.

Don't forget to prep the lid / cooler clearances!

Probably easier to take some off of the bottom of lid than to attack
the inside edge of the cooler. Lay some extra glass tape along the
contact area of the lid. Sand for a tight fit when it's all solid.

If you just happen to have some of that neato looking carbon fiber tape
handy, add a wrap around the cooler during the lay-up.

- and - presto -

the World's First
Carbon Fiber Reinforced
Beer Cooler!