posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

Default Cooler testing question for Richard K.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

Actually did something similar a few years ago. I ordered a big batch
of prime steaks for a party we were having from one of those mail
order places. They came packed in a nice big bare Styrofoam cooler
with 2" thick walls. To good to throw away so I covered it in epoxy
and 6oz glass. I have a feeling it would run circles around anything
on the market for keeping ice.

Piggly Wiggly suddenly had this fantastic little Kraft cheeze cooler made
of bare styrofoam with a plastic top with a sliding plexiglass door you
could see through to see the cheeze inside. It has this little
refridgeration unit in it at the top with a tiny compressor like you'd
find in a water cooler or overpriced boat ice box converter. Every time
I walked by it shopping, I couldn't help but think how nice it would be
to have that cooler filled with fine English ale in my little home bar.

After it had been there a couple of weeks, I asked a "contact" I'd been
courting for favors at the PigWig what they were going to do with the
cooler when the cheeze promo was over. "Oh, they'll just trash it.
There's no room to store it and Kraft will send them different ones next
time.", he replied to my astonishment. Reminding him of the last DVD
player I fixed for him a few months ago, I asked him to quietly ferret
out the cooler when The Pig was done with it and just call me to get it.

I was right. It doesn't make any more noise in my bar than the chicken-
feeder water cooler in the kitchen. Those fine English Ales and a row of
Warsteiner Dunkel look much better in the little plastic viewing door
than the cheeze ever did....(c; I even found the thermostat to adjust it
to just the precise serving temperature Boddington's recommends....

The Kraft signage came right off....

Best free cooler I ever had....