posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
CJB

Default My way around a Bark

Bark Europa is a great sailing ship - that is - she's one of the few
conversions that have actually produced a ship that is a beauty to sail
and also to look at. She was originally a German lightship built in
1918. The crew are great - laid back and friendly in typical Dutch
style - but efficient. We've sailed on her and she is certainly one of
our favourites. You'll be in safe hands. Incidently the Captain(s) are
real SAIL enthusiasts and I remember when we were sailing into Boston
for TallShip 2000 we were six hours late arriving at about midnight
(which really ****ed the Yanks off) 'cos we SAILED and tacked into the
outer harbour in light winds rather than simply motor in.

Her motto is "everything you may do, but nothing you must do."

The 'Stavros' and 'Prince William' brigs are also 'conversions' and not
100% successful (their original hulls were meant to be other ships) and
they are rigged a little differently to Europa. The latter is far more
traditional. 'Lord Nelson'/'Tenacious' brigs are more like Europa. You
can also get the training manual for the barque Eagle of the USSCG.
Amazon sells it.

But actually you will quickly learn the ropes and sails. And all
training is given - its part of the package!! You'll have a great time.
Good luck and fair winds!!

Chris B.

Duncan wrote:
"DUCTTAPE" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently signd up for a trip on the Europa to the Antarctic Peninsula
for the next austral summer.

I picked this ship over a 'Death Star' liner partially so I could
experience the sailing and the ship. Can anyone recommend where I
could find information on barks, their riggings, theories of operation,
or anything else I should know to help make this more of a hands on
experience?

Help is appreciated

David
www.DavidRose.us

David, you lucky b******!

The Jubilee Sailing Trust publish a useful booklet for a few pounds called
"Square Rig Sailing Simplified", very much based on their barques Lord
Nelson and Tenacious. Contact via website www.jst.org.uk

There are diagrams of the sails of Lord Nelson at
http://www.jst.org.uk/pdf/categories...eck%20Plan.pdf
and Tenacious at
http://www.jst.org.uk/pdf/categories...eck%20Plan.pdf

Duncan