Jeff

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Roger Long wrote:
Maybe you know. I got no answer from the traditionalists over at the
Wooden Boat forum.

How did people attach their jib sheets back in the age of canvas?
Everyone seems to use bowlines now but, if something like a stuns'l
tackbend has a special name, why not jib sheet clews.

I don't know. I have a few books I can look through, and it is time
for my Spring visit to the USS Constitution, so I might be able to
come up with an answer in a few days.

I notice that a knot with "tack" in it probably is intended to get the
sail as close into the block as possible. Even with my current
splicing enthusiasm, I'm still going to attach my halyard shackles
this way. Easy to move the chafe point, easy to grab, no thick splice
in the sheave, what's not to like?

yup!

I think spliced loops are the way to go for roller jibs that are going
to come down on deck anyway before anyone takes the sheets off. I'd
hate to have someone talk me out of it though just after making the
two eye splices. (Better hurry)

I agree that there is virtue in a eye splice doubled through the
cringle - I setup some of my fenders this way, figuring it can handle
twice the abuse this way. But before you do it, make sure your clew
can handle four passes of the line. And is the shape of it such that
each will pull in the proper direction, even after they're drawn tight?