Roger Long

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Maybe you know. I got no answer from the traditionalists over at the
Wooden Boat forum.

How did people attach their jib sheets back in the age of canvas?
Everyone seems to use bowlines now but, if something like a stuns'l
tackbend has a special name, why not jib sheet clews.

I notice that a knot with "tack" in it probably is intended to get the
sail as close into the block as possible. Even with my current
splicing enthusiasm, I'm still going to attach my halyard shackles
this way. Easy to move the chafe point, easy to grab, no thick splice
in the sheave, what's not to like?

I think spliced loops are the way to go for roller jibs that are going
to come down on deck anyway before anyone takes the sheets off. I'd
hate to have someone talk me out of it though just after making the
two eye splices. (Better hurry)

--

Roger Long

"Jeff" wrote in message
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:29:10 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article
rvers.com,
says...

The jist was that there are some new high tech ropes that have
different characteristics than we are accoustomed to and you may
need to be careful. I think that this was some sort of braid over
a parallel core but would not swear to it.

Have some of that stuff on my new main halyard. Maybe some people
can splice it. I can't. So it is affixed to the head shackle with a
knot, but not a bowline. I forget the name but it is specifically
recommended for halyards because it will not come loose and will
not jam in the sheaves. It's also whipped to make sure it won't
come loose.

Possibly a "Buntline Hitch"?
Mark E. Williams

The buntline hitch is the same as the stuns'l tackbend that I have
advocated on a number of occasions, and Roger showed in his picture.

http://www.dirauxwest.org/knots/buntline.htm

It is the perfect knot for a number of places, such as the halyard,
but can be a problem if used to attach two large sheets to a jib.