Capt. JG

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

"Howard" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Some where, within the last week or two, I read a report about a fellow
who used a bowline to affix his bosuns chair. He was using some new
fangled, high tech rope. Any way, or so the story goes, he was working on
the top of the mast alternatingly putting stress on and off the bowline.
The new fangled rope worked out of the bowline and down he came. He broke
his fall but still screwed up one foot bad enough that it had to be
amputated, eventually.

Sorry but I can not recall the source of this story.

The jist was that there are some new high tech ropes that have different
characteristics than we are accoustomed to and you may need to be careful.
I think that this was some sort of braid over a parallel core but would
not swear to it.

Howard

Typically, one uses more than one line when going up the mast to prevent
just this sort of thing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com