MMC

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Sounds like another good argument for a safety line when aloft.
MMC
"Howard" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Some where, within the last week or two, I read a report about a fellow
who used a bowline to affix his bosuns chair. He was using some new
fangled, high tech rope. Any way, or so the story goes, he was working
on the top of the mast alternatingly putting stress on and off the
bowline. The new fangled rope worked out of the bowline and down he
came. He broke his fall but still screwed up one foot bad enough that
it had to be amputated, eventually.

Sorry but I can not recall the source of this story.

The jist was that there are some new high tech ropes that have different
characteristics than we are accoustomed to and you may need to be
careful. I think that this was some sort of braid over a parallel core
but would not swear to it.

Howard

Mys Terry wrote:
On 12 Mar 2006 14:33:10 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:23:17 -0500, Wayne.B
said:

In lieu of that, there is no substitute for a good bowline knot.

I dunno. I've had singularly bad luck with bowlines' shaking loose.

Still
looking for a good substitute.

In roughly 45 years I've never had that happen. Not once. Are you sure

you are
tying it properly? I'm serious.