Jeff

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Roger Long wrote:
What about this idea I'm leaning towards at this point?

Put a generous sized eyesplice in each sheet and simply bring the
bitter end back through the eye.

This works until you want to end-for-end it.

I wish I hadn't already bought one half of the sheet accidentally
because just putting a bight in the middle through the cringle and
bringing both bitter ends through it make the most sense to me this
morning.

I've done this on smaller boats; I'm not sure its appropriate for the
high load of larger boats.

It seems like this is something there should be a standard for in
traditional boats. I'm surprised I never picked it up from my tarred
hemp and baggywrinkle days. After all, there is a "Topsail Sheet
Bend". That's almost exactly the same requirements as a headsail so,
why isn't it a "Sail Bend" or isn't there a "Jib Sheet Bend". I asked
over at the Wooden Boat Forum where people obsess about these things
and didn't get an answer.

You mean, like a "tackbend"? We've had this discussion before. I use
bowlines, which I've never heard of failing on normal Dacron.
However, they can snag on stays, and if this happens, I would go to
the stunsail tackbend. I use this knot in numerous places, its
probably the most common knot on my boat. One problem is that with
large sheets you have a huge solid hunk of rope on the clew.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Athletics/P...mainsheet.html

Perhaps there is a need for some new high tech product, perhaps a
Kevlar strap that can be spliced onto a sheet. Or is there some soft
equivalent of a "bulldog" clamp for rope?