DSK

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Wayne.B wrote:
No there are several very compact jib sheet shackles available and
many serious racing boats use them.

Yes, I know. Many more don't, though.

... They are so small that they're
almost invisible inside the eye splice.

Well, go to some web sites with pics from Key Wst Race week
and see... a lot of hi-dollar boats out there using bowlines
on the jib sheets, including at least a few of the new Swan
45s. I don't believe that the cost of an $80 shackle is of
any concern to these guys.

Another option that I forgot is a cowlick knot or lark's
head. That's where you push the bight of the jib sheet thru
the D-ring and bring both ends thru it, and cinch the clew
to the center of the sheet. That one is a bit harder to
re-rig in a hurry, but it seems like a better option to me
than to use eye splices cinched up.

DSK